Friday, August 23, 2013

Orientation Day

After a morning of orientation information and lectures the staff of Champlain sent us off for a scavenger hunt around the city. Some of the destinations on the hunt included asking a park Warden what U2 can do in the park that no one else is allowed to do, take a picture with one of the women on Moore street holding up four carrots and a sign that says I Love Vermont, and even take a picture with at least 15 pigeons in it. Crazy afternoon,  lot of tired feet after all the walking (literally from the bottom of the city to the top, but so much fun!

After, our entire group headed to The Church which is a restaurant and bar well pub. The coolest part about The Church is that it actually used to be a church, so all the stained glass is still there, one of the signs by where the altar would have been, and all the original architecture.stone work. So we mingled downstairs by the bar with drinks, then headed upstairs for a wonderful meal, which would be the balcony seating. . What was really nice, is they put one faculty member at each of the tables for us to talk to, so I actually got to meet my teacher for my Writing the City course. I am really looking forward to the class, it sounds like it is going to be my cup of tea. (Unfortunately I don't have any good photos of The Church but next time I go back I will definitely take some). 

As soon as I sat down with the seven other students, the staff member asked us if any of us had Irish heritage, when I replied yes he got so enthusiastic, he stated " my goodness I would have been scared if you didn't, you look so Irish like immensely so, I would be shocked if you weren't!" Which was odd for me because I've only ever heard that my name is Irish not that I look very Irish. Good to know though, so maybe people just don't know I'm american until I open my mouth.  I guess I kept doing things during the meal as well that are very Irish too, like waiting until everyone is served before eating myself, which was interesting for me to learn because that was just another one of those manners I was taught each night at dinner. Anyway it was loads of fun talking to the professor, and I am really looking forward to his class, the small amount he talked about it made me know I would love it. 

This evening a group of us was told we had to go to The Thomas House, and we could all tell we would be heading there a lot more in the future, really cool place. They had a barbers chair to sit at, decently priced pints, some good names on tap, comics books covering the bathroom walls, a venue downstairs for some heavy metal bands, and some very chill bartenders who will treat you well once you get to know them more and more. I am excited that it is right up the street from school-don't worry mom I still will never walk there, or home alone, and it is only a block down from the ATM. What a nice night, and I really enjoyed getting to know some people I hadn't before. 

We have another early day tomorrow but the trip out to Bray will be a fun one, so I am looking forward to it. 

Day one of Orientation Day 5 of my travels over. 
Goodnight, good afternoon, or good morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment