Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gaelic Games

So sorry it has taken me so long to do another post, guess I got a little busy recently (Sorry Mom!)

Last weekend myself and twenty-five other classmates and I went to another part of the city and got to learn and play some true Irish Sports.

We started off learning Gaelic Football. We learned the correct way to pick up the ball Kicking it up into our arms, "dribble" or run down with the ball (cradling it like a baby), and to kick the ball (similar to juggling the ball in soccer). The ball was very similar to a volleyball but weighed a little more than a soccer ball. Since the rain had started to pick up some we learned how to play in the handball alley inside. This was kind of hard for me because I just wanted to be back on a field, and falling down on cement is kind of painful. After learning the basic steps to play this game we split into four smaller teams and played a basic game of keep away, after passing the ball four times without interception from the other team you get a point. So much fun and aggression came out on our side of the court, but it was honestly just a hilarious game.

After that they brought us upstairs fitted us with helmets and sticks and took us outside to teach us hurling. Now hurling is a mix between lacrosse, hockey, football and baseball. We learned how to pick up the ball using the sticks, (just like scooping in lacrosse, hit the ball on the ground (like hockey), and even the best way to score (swing the stick at the ball like baseball). We learned how to pass the ball to our teammates (like throwing in baseball), run down the field with the ball (holding the ball like football), and how to always protect ourselves with the stick (stick in front across your body like lacrosse). Before we knew it they were putting ourselves into two teams and telling us to play a game. Many people got the hang of the game before the others, but it was hilarious to watch. I whiffed the ball way to many times, but I did hit it once so I was happy. There had been a football game going on next to us and when it was over some of the spectators started watching our attempt at playing, I think they got a good afternoon of laughing. My team ended up only losing two or three zip, which we attest to the fact that Adam our head resident was playing center forward for the other team.

After the hilarity of that game was over they brought us back inside and had us take a breather before bringing us back down to the handball alley to teach us handball. Now this is very similar to racquetball and I even think I played it back in gym class growing up. Basically you bounce the ball and then hit it with your hand onto the wall, then your opponent (standing next to you facing the wall) hits it back. It goes until just like tennis or racquetball someone misses it. We played to learn and then played to win, it was a lot of fun going down the line seeing how many people you could beat. I have to say running and leaping to hit the ball back to an opponent really is quite fun. We played until it was just two students left, and then one student against the teacher. Even after someone got out we still cheered on students who were left, and created a high-five gauntlet to run through.

It was such a fun afternoon learning these games, and to just work as a team with my fellow classmates. As I said that day I could make bank at handball, I could make a living at Gaelic football, but I'm going to have to kiss my hurling career goodbye.

Sorry I don't have any pictures but as soon as I get some I will post them! Here is a video about what I did though to give you more of an idea about the sports! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYwBwtjNlI
Sorry again this took me so long. Next weekend I am going horseback riding with some classmates, I think in Wicklow (around where I went camping).  I am just excited to ride a horse on a beautiful landscape. Then that night (Friday) I fly to Paris to meet up with Tori and Mitch for a well-deserved weekend away. Stay tuned for a few blog posts and way to many photos!!!


Photos of me playing these games (of course I get them two days after I finally published this post...)

 









No comments:

Post a Comment