Sunday, October 13, 2013

North Day Two: Ballintoy Harbor, Rope Bridge, Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle


There is nothing better than starting off a morning by walking through a small little town and making your way into the harbor. A harbor that has these gorgeous hills throughout it that you can climb on and run around on. Walking down to this harbor and walking around it was so beautiful. OH! did I mention that Game of Thrones films here!
 Yes I think that made it that much better in this harbor. It was just so beautiful to be out on a such a clear day climbing around in a harbor with good friends.







We then made our way back to the bus and headed to Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. The trail leading along the coast line was breathtaking and there were some fabulous views.


Then we started making our way down the never-ending steps to the rope bridge. This bridge although made very well is still 70 feet from the water, and terrifying for anyone scared of heights.
I still don't know how I made it across the bridge, but I did, and the views from the little island on the other side were almost worth the fear.



I thought going over the first time was the hard part but going back was much worse, we won't get into that though. After following the path back, and getting back to the bus we all headed to a cute little pub for lunch.

We then headed to the Giant's Causeway. The causeway is made up of thousands of rock columns that were formed from a volcanic eruption. This was a beautiful place, and one I would really like to return to. The way the water just slowly laps up onto the rocks, with the mountains behind us, it was yet again another breathtaking sight to behold.





Before long it was time to get on the bus again, and make one last stop, this time to Dunluce Castle. Our wonderful leader Lily had set up a tour, and we got to hear some great old stories about the history of the Castle. How many times it changed hands, forbidden love, the ghost, the extravagant parties, and even how a stove fell into the ocean. Again there were some fabulous views from this castle, and there is something too fun about running around an abandoned castle with friends.


Soon enough we were back on the bus and headed back to the Republic. It was a fabulous weekend, and I couldn't have had a better time. I wish I had gotten to see more and there was more time, but who knows, maybe I will go back.

*disclaimer: I am so sorry for my lack of enthusiasm in these posts, next post is sure to have more zazz!*

No comments:

Post a Comment