Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Back to Bray...

What did you do last Friday? School? Work? Well my Friday was way better! I woke up moderately early and walked to the dart station with some friends, then took the train to Bray yet again. This time though we were met by the wonderful Lilly Johnsson (operations manager at Champlain College Dublin, and a nice smiling face to see every day at the Academic Center.) We all hopped on an adorable small red bus with the cutest old man bus driver, and made our way to Brennanstown Riding School/ Equestrian Center to go horseback riding.

After walking down an adorable country road driveway we arrived at the Barn. We got fitted for hats and boots, and then before we knew it we were outside being placed next to the horses. Now only two of seven of us had actually been on a horse before, but we found ourselves pretty confident, and excited.
My horse's name was Morgan and he was great. I (with the help of a step-stool) was able to climb on him (don't make fun of me ma, everyone got on that way).

Then all the workers there taught us how to get the horse to go forward, stop, go right, and go left. We started playing follow the leader around and around in a circle on our horses getting used to each other, and learning how to sit the best way in our saddles. Then they were teaching us how to gallop on the horses, and the best way to move our bodies, so if felt natural (you have to stand up and sit down, not just bump along as the horse goes).

Before we knew it they were taking us out of the center and out onto the trails. I couldn't believe they were just trusting us out on the trail when some of us hadn't been on the horse for more than ten minutes, but I guess they had a lot of faith in us. We got into a line with a leader from the center, and then one assistant bringing up the rear. I was a little nervous, and apparently Morgan had just woken up so he was having trouble keeping up in the line, but I was taught how to kick my legs best to get him to perk up. My friend was behind me on a horse that was having trouble keeping up as well but I guess that's because he was old.

Before long Morgan and I were getting along great though, I let him eat every time we stopped, and he kept up in the line.  On the trail going up the mountain we did walking and then some galloping. I thought I got the hang of galloping pretty well too because I didn't find myself bumping along and just laughing, instead I found the standing sitting motion quite natural. ( I seriously think I could have made a really good rider had I been given the chance when I was younger...thanks ma!) It was truly a different experience riding through the woods on a horse while still trying to take in the area.

Getting to the top of the mountain was beautiful, but taking pictures on the back of a horse isn't the easiest thing. One of my friends was really good at it, so I will have to steal some of her pictures, but for now just imagine lost of green rolling hills and mountains. It was beautiful.





Photocredit: Elizabeth
Going back down we went through a gorgeous field and then we came to a place where we had a tree in our way. This was when we found out we all were really getting the hang of this riding thing because we had to go through a gate (yes gates are hard because like a car if you do too tight of a turn you hurt your legs), get off our horse, get them under the fallen tree, then get back on them (Yes ma, without a step-stool!) We were all masters!



Before long we were back down at the center again of course Morgan make me look like I didn't know what I was doing because he didn't follow the other horses, he went straight for the water,  but then we got back into the arena, took a couple pictures on the horses for Lilly, got off our horses, helped take the saddles off, and then I had fun being a scratching post for the horses (it was hilarious, pictures to come), and then we were packing up the saddles, handing over our boots and helmets, and making our way back to the bus stop. It was an amazing morning, and a lot of fun. Too many selfies were taken, laughs were had, and it was amazing riding a horse in the mountains of Ireland, something I don't think I will ever have the chance to do again.

Lilly and I

Nicole and I



 Later that night I caught a plane to Paris...post and pictures to come soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment