Saturday, September 7, 2013

A True Game

When people ask me where I grew up, I have to bite my tongue because my first instinct is to say the soccer fields rather than Cape Cod. This is because my memories of being young were all on the fields. When I was too young to walk I was in a carrier on my fathers back while he was coaching my brothers games, practices, or even just watching a game. I feel as if before I learned to walk completely I was dribbling a soccer ball. Once I was old enough to actually play soccer it was pretty much all I did. Every saturday I was at the soccer fields, watching and playing games. My childhood was soccer.

Growing up with soccer I have such an appreciation for it. I have gone to see Cape Cod Crusaders team, and the Revolution but I never really thought those to be professional games. Last night though I went to a World Cup Qualifier match game: Ireland vs. Sweden. It was such a cool experience.


view from our seat-the beautiful stadium
The game was at Aviva Stadium, at 7:45 pm. After getting ready; green shirts, green accessories, and face paint, a group of us walked to Tara Street Station and got on the Dart for the last leg of the stadium. The outside of the area was pretty, but once we got inside and went up the stairs to our seat, I was even more excited. Although we were up high in the top level, I prefered it because we got to see everything. I really wanted to just keep taking photos, but I knew I should actually watch the game and experience the time without a camera/phone camera in front of my face.

(hopefully this video works)

I have to say, it is such a cultural experience going to a sporting event in a different country. Listening to the fans cheer, their chants, and the excitement when their team cheers is so much fun. The stadium was beautiful and Ireland even scored first. The rain was on and off, but when it was on, it was only falling on the other side of the stadium.




Sadly enough Sweden won the game 2-1 but the team played very well, and of course there were some awful calls from the refs. After the game ended we left the stadium, carefully, and even got on the train, and we weren't too squeezed between people. The walk back from the station wasn't too bad either, and we successfully avoided Temple Bar (that is where the Swedes set up camp all day.) The rain didn't pick up too much till we were almost home as well, which is very lucky. All in all it was a great night, and I think I would even love to attend another game.

Nicole, Olivia, Laura, and I. Photo Credit: Sarah with Nicole's Camera


No comments:

Post a Comment